A CV is a Marketing Tool. . .
- Summarizes your experiences that are of interest to potential employers.
- Shows relevance of qualifications.
- Establishes enough interest to land an interview.
Building a great CV is the single most important thing you can do when searching for a new job.
- Employers only spend 20 seconds per resume
- Recruitment is not like ‘Indian Idol’ – everyone is NOT invited for an audition. Only 10-20 applicants make it after the first cut.
- CV becomes the basis for the interview
- Reminder of the impression you made during the interview
Types of CVs
There are basically two types of CVs:
Chronological: A CV written in a chronological order – by time.
Functional: A CV that groups skills and experience in a way to best demonstrate a person’s match for a particular job.
We will focus on the chronological CV because…
- The chronological CV is a good format
- Easy to read by the recruiter
- Less time consuming to prepare
Suggested elements of a CV
- Identifying Information
- Relevant Coursework / Academic Projects
- Work Experience
- Activities, Leadership, and Service
- Awards /Honors
- Publications / Conferences
- References (separate page)
- Present and Permanent Address
- Telephone Numbers
- Email Address – make it professional!
- Web Page (if appropriate)
Example – Identifying Information
22-B, DHA Phase IV, Lahore, Pakistan
Ph: +92 42 1234567 / Cell: +92 3** 1234567
- A statement that indicates to an employer the type of position you are interested in pursuing.
- One sentence that describes your employment goals clearly and concisely.
- Not what the employer can do for you, but what you can do for the employer.
- Avoid vague phrases that focus on what you will gain from the experience.
- Do not use “I”
Examples – Objective
- A seasoned academician with vast training, high motivation and well educated seeking to excel in a career teaching the future generation.
- A human resources expert, with three years experience looking to apply knowledge and social skills into a management role
- A commercially minded recent business graduate with experience of a sales internship is seeking a career in management of sales in a large organization
- List the name and location (city, country) of your college/university.
- List newest degree first.
- GPA or % – only if it is 3.0 or higher (more than 60%)
- Year of graduation
- Do not list future educational plans in this section
- Continuing educational programmes should be mentioned as ‘Ongoing’
Example – Education
PakEducators Business School & College, Pakistan
BBA in Finance, July2011
Or you can also write
MBA, Human Resources, July 2011
Punjab University, Lahore
- List your job title, name of department, name of organization, city, and dates of employment.
- Use action verbs to start each responsibility.
- Avoid pronouns – incomplete sentences are OKAY! Ah! Hmn!
- Can be listed as Internship, Volunteer, Work, Relevant, Additional or Leadership Experience.
- List experiences in reverse chronological order
- May create a separate section, ‘Leadership Experience’
- List each experience separately.
- List relevant projects and its results.
- Use action verbs
- Brag – do not downplay but do not exaggerate either
Example – Work Experience
PakEducators Public School, Islamabad Jan 2009 – June 2010
- Ensured that the learning objectives set for Science Teachers were met for all 300 students
- Trained 50 teachers in learning techniques
- Coordinated daily activities and special events for students
- Tutored students with learning disabilities
Example – Leadership Experience
Institute of Business Administration- Multan
Project Leader Mar 201o – Aug 2011
Led a team of 11 faculty members to analyze the nature of problems faced by students living in hostels
- Organized 6 student discussion sessions
- Presented suggestions for implementation of a new residential plan for students
- Reduced student dissatisfaction by 17%
- Communication, verbal and written
- Interpersonal skills
- Strong work ethic
- Spoken Languages
- List organizations that you belong to.
- List professional memberships.
- May include year(s) that you participated in each activity.
- Have a separate page of References.
- Create a list of references including name, title, business address, phone number, and email.
- Choose mostly employment references.
- Always ask permission from individuals before listing them as references.
- Check thoroughly for spelling mistakes & formatting errors
- Use short sentences.
- Ensure all dates are correct
- Use good quality plain white A4 paper if you are printing your CV.
- Use bullet points.
- Try to stick to 2-3 pages.
- Go for eye appeal
- List strong area firstPGet feedback on your final product
- Use pictures or photos on CV
- State any personal information
- (age, marital status, height / weight, Number of children etc.)
- List salary requirement
- Try and be humorous (recruitment is serious)
- Leave gaps in employment
- Use fancy fonts and borders
- Lie or exaggerate about anything on your CV
- Offer any negative information
- Provide reasons for leaving last employers
is se behter tha ke ap CVs ke chand aik samples de dete
Excellent work. keep it up.
Dear Jamil Saab, we are waiting some sharing from your end. As you are always positive and intelligent person. So please send something which benefit other. If your sharing benefit only ONE person, even then it will be a Sadqa-a-Jariay.
kuch samples dy do plzzzzzzzzzzzz
Ok. we will dear.
PLZ SEND ME SOME SAMPLES.
Ok. We request visitors to please share as local CVs will be great sample and example to learn.
I WITH ALL D STAFF OF MY SCHOOL HIGHLY APPRECIATE D SERVICES OF PEA BEING RENDERED FOR D PROTECTION OF RIGHTS OF SKOL TEACHERS. MUJAY UMEED HA K YE TUNZEEM ISI JUZBAY,JOSH,EMANDARI,KHALOOS,NAIK NIYYATI AUR MEHNAT SE APNAY FRIAZ ADA KERTI RAHAY GI. REGARDS 4M RANA AYYUB,RANA AJMAL,RANA RASHID, GHS BALHERKE S.K.P 03446603100
Thank you PEA for struggle for educators rights. Praying for more sucess. Educators should be united and pray and give finincial sport to the union.